I am a retired college professor and mental health counselor, currently working as a church musician and spiritual director.
On my journey, I have discovered that the path of spiritual direction enlightened me to the wonders that only God could bring forth in my life. It answered so many unanswered questions, and has led me through the discernment process of some difficult life decisions. New insights brought peace and understanding.
For me, this journey has made all of the difference.
What is Spiritual Direction?
Spiritual direction can mean different things to different people, but simply stated, it is the art of Christian listening carried out in the context of a one-on-one trusting relationship. It is when one Christian is trained to be a competent quide who then “companions” another person, listening to the person’s life story with an ear for the movement of the Holy Spirit. The spiritual director listens, discerns, prays, and may make suggestions.
Why do people come for spiritual direction?
Some people seek spiritual direction because they:
- have an inner longing and desire for a deeper relationship with God.
- find that the disciplines they have been practicing don’t seem to be working any longer.
- may feel dry spiritually.
- may be in a time of transition or need help with discerning God’s will about a decision.
- are seeking help in understanding the path of their lives and how to walk with God in an authentic and intimate way.
What Can I Expect?
- one-hour long sessions
- one session per month
- director listens and asks thoughtful questions.
- any current life issue or concern is appropriate for the session
- the focus of the interchange is on your relationship with God.
How do I decide if spiritual direction is appropriate for me?
Scheduling an initial session is the first step. Following the first session there will be a time for you to decide whether you want to continue the sessions. After 3 months there will be another evaluation of the spiritual direction relationship
Is there a fee?
There is no cost for the initial session. Fees and payment options for ongoing direction will be covered during the initial session.